Monday, May 2, 2011

A WEEKEND TO REMEMBER

Matt & I were blessed with an opportunity to attend "A WEEKEND TO REMEMBER" conference here in town this weekend.  Let me just say if you ever get a chance to go - you should! 
IT WILL BE WORTH YOUR TIME! 

I can not possibly, communicate all that I (or Matt) learned in a post.  But I want to list a couple of things that I want to work on.

1. Intentionally pursuing my relationship with God
2. Communication - in all areas (but mostly with Matt)
3. Humility

Some highlights and things that I want to remember!

Matt and I are coming to understand that the BEST thing that we can do for our children is to live a marriage of "ONENESS"  What is oneness?  
"Oneness in marriage involves complete unity with each other. It's more than a mere mingling of two humans - it's a tender merger of body, soul and spirit."
~Dennis Rianey in his book Staying Close

ONENESS is God's design for marriage
Genesis 2.:24 says "Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife; and they shall be one flesh.
They used an illustration for cleave in society today as a post-it note.  A post-it note cleaves to things but can easily be removed, then reattached to another thing and again easily removed then reattached, but over time the adhesive wears off and then no longer cleaves to anything.
Then they used the illustration of two pieces of wood that were glued together and then put in a vise for a period of time. The two pieces of wood in a way become "ONE". you could not easily separate one piece of wood from the other.  This is God's design for marriage.  That spouses would be "GLUED" together for life!

Our spouse is not our enemy - but a gift from GOD!
The speakers reminded us that conflict is common in all marriages.  We ALL SIN, we ALL have weaknesses.  But it is how we deal with those weakness in our spouse and how we FORGIVE our spouse that define our marriage.  Are we quick to criticize or are we willing to FORGIVE quickly! (with out as they said "heating it up for breakfast the next morning".) 

Marriage is each person giving a 100% not 50%

God is His greatness knew that we would not be able to do all that he has called us to do on our own, so He gave us his Holy Spirit.  
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law."  Galations 5:22-23


WIFE AND MOTHER 
(they split the men and women for this session)
The first question that they asked us.  How does a woman become the kind of wife and mother GOD has designed her to be?
1. Grow in her relationship with God must come first
2. Respecting and supporting her husband comes second
3.Teaching and training her children come third

As a WIFE

We are to CHEER for our "TEAM" (our family)! No matter how many times, we as a family have been knocked down!
I must be willing to trust God and follow His plan even though a positive response from my husband is not guaranteed?

As a MOTHER
There were so many points that they talked about that I want to work on. I feel like I need to keep this section of my manual (from the conference) right beside my bed.

"She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue" Proverbs 31:26

She...

helps them understand the bible
communicates family values
models godliness
provides consistent instruction, correction and discipline
does not let her home become child-centered
helps him or her understand their identity as a gift from God
guides the development of their character
help them in their relationships
depends on GOD

ok...I have a lot to pray about and work on!

Back to the marriage sessions...

Ingredients to real ONENESS
Extravagant love
Generous forgiveness
Enthusiastic Encouragement

at the end of the conference we were able to renew our vows to each another.  I didn't expect to cry...but as soon as we turned to each other,  Matt took both of my hands and started saying the vows. I about lost it...on Thursday it will be 10 years to the day that we first said our vows to each other.  To recommit and speak to each other those same words almost 10 years later was awesome!

I am SO thankful that God has given me - Matt as a gift! My prayer is that we will be a couple who mirror God's image in the form of "ONENESS"



We would like to say "THANK YOU" to the couple that made if possible for us to go!
You know who you are! 

We would also like to say "THANK YOU" to Matt's parents for
  watching Ian and Levi for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment